Wednesday, May 12, 2010

There's always someone who is last...

This past Saturday was my very 1st training for the half marathon. I can no longer say "marathon" and keep it short cause I know the lingo now and have to say "half" in front of marathon cause I'm not running 26.whatever miles it is. I'll be running 13.1. STILL ALOT!!! Well, I was pumped for my 1st training...until....we started on the track. I started out running and maybe made it 20 or 30 feet. I felt heavy, like something was holding me down from running. So, I started to walk and walk as fast as I could. One of the coaches said I had great posture and gave me a few more tips for walking so I used them. Everyone started passing me more and more until...I believe I was the last person. I didn't give up on my running. Every few minutes, I'd try and run just a few more feet. My shins and calves hurt so bad :( I've never felt them hurt this bad before. I kept having to stop and stretch them out. I was scared they were going to pull and rip on me...that's at least what they felt like they were going to do. About this point, I finally pass the 1 mile marker. I still had 2 more to go. It was harder than I thought, but I did finish...of course, even though it took me 50 minutes...I finished!!! Didn't have much of a choice though. LOL You know that saying, "There's always someone who's last"...well, I was that person on Saturday. I was hoping that with "training", one of the coaches or my mentor would stick with me to help motivate me, but no one did :( That was a little discouraging, having to go through it alone, but I'm not going to let that bring me down. I will continue to strive and continue to finish. I will finish until the very end...that 13.1 miles across the finish line on Sunday October 17 in San Francisco.

Oh and one of the perks of finishing the race....SAN FRANCISCO FIREMEN HOLDING SILVER TRAYS WITH TIFFANY BLUE BOXES AND TIFFANY NECKLACES INSIDE. Yup...a Tiffany's necklace. For you single women...the firemen may be more appealing to you, but for me...the Tiffany's necklace is. Ok...I'll admit, it's icing to have the firemen there too :) LOL Don't worry, my husband knows. lol So, instead of a medal for finishing, we get to wear a constant reminder of what we accomplished, with a Tiffany inscription on the back :)

And Nick has decided that he will be there in attendance to cheer me on. I'm so happy that I'll have him there to share this moment with me. He'll get the sweatiest biggest hug he's ever gotten in his life when I cross that finish line. LOL I've spoke with my aunt and her and my uncle are going to most likely be there as well, since they live about 30 minutes away. OMG, I'm just too excited right now thinking about this. Just wish my mom could come :(

Right now, the race is just a little glimpse to me and right now, I can't imagine myself doing this but in my heart, I am doing this for someone else. That someone else who is fighting for their life and going through chemo and the emotional and physical pain that it brings on. I hate you cancer and I will work hard to help get rid of you...whatever I can do, I'm going to do!!!

On another note...I can always bring a running buddy with me, so anyone want to join me on Saturday mornings to help me get through this...I'd be more than appreciative :)

No comments:

Post a Comment